Optimism is a Layer 2 scaling solution for Ethereum that can support all of Ethereum’s Dapps. Instead of running all computation and data on the Ethereum network, Optimism puts all transaction data on-chain and runs computation off-chain, increasing Ethereum’s transactions per second and decreasing transaction fees.
As already guessed in our retroactive airdrop overview, Optimism has announced the launch of their governance token “OP” and confirmed to airdrop 19% of the total supply to early and future Optimism users. Optimism Users, Repeat Optimism Users, DAO Voters, Multisig Signers, Gitcoin Donors and Users Priced Out of Ethereum by the snapshot date are eligible to claim the airdrop. The snapshot of the addresses was taken on March 25th, 2022 at 0:00 UTC.
- Visit the Optimism airdrop claim page.
- Connect your ETH wallet.
- If you’re eligible, then you will be able to claim free OP tokens.
- The snapshot of the addresses was taken on March 25th, 2022 at 0:00 UTC.
- Eligible users are:
- Optimism Users: Users who’ve bridged to Optimism from L1 during the early phases of mainnet (before Jun 23, 2021), or used Optimism for more than 1 day (at least 24 hours between their first and last transaction) and made a transaction using an app (after to Jun 23, 2021).
- Repeat Optimism Users: Users who’re already eligible for the airdrop as “Optimism Users” and made at least 1 transaction with an Optimism application across four distinct weeks.
- DAO Voters: Address has either voted on or authored at least one proposal on-chain, or at least two on Snapshot (off-chain).
- Multi-Sig Signers: Address is a current signer on a Multi-Sig which has executed at least 10 transactions all-time. Multisig Wallets Include Gnosis Safe v0.1.0-1.3.0, MultiSigWithDailyLimit, MultiSigWalletWithTimeLock, and addresses in Etherscan’s ‘Multisig’ label which had a function to get owner addresses.
- Gitcoin Donors: Address has made an on-chain donation through Gitcoin. This includes any donation, regardless of if it was during a matching round.
- Users Priced Out of Ethereum: Address bridged to another chain, but still made an app transaction on Ethereum each month after they bridged, and transacted at an average rate of at least 2 per week since then. Bridges included top L1s by TVL: Terra, BSC, Fantom, Avalanche, Solana, Polygon; and general-purpose L2s: Arbtirum, Optimism, Metis, Boba.
- Users who match multiple eligibility criteria from above will also be eligible for an extra overlap bonus.
- There will also be future airdrops to active users of the platform.
- For more information regarding the airdrop, see this article.
Tokens per Claim
- Total value: n/a
Optimism doesn’t have a token yet and could potentially have one in the future. There’s speculation that they may do an airdrop to users who’ve used their bridge.
- Visit the Optimism gateway page.
- Connect your ETH wallet.
- Now enter the amount you want to transfer from mainnet to Optimism.
- Now approve the transaction.
- Also try to make a trade on Uniswap through Optimism.
- You can combine this speculative airdrop with other speculative retroactive airdrops by using Hop Protocol to transfer assets from Optimism Layer 2 back to ETH Mainnet or directly hop to the next speculative retroactive airdrop by withdrawing it to Arbitrum using Hop Protocol. This way you could maybe become eligible for three potential airdrops at once, Arbitrum, Optimism and Hope Protocol. By using Hop Protocol your withdrawals will also be sent instantly, native withdrawals via Optimism gateway takes around one week. You can find out more about Optimism withdrawals from here.
- There is a rumor that users who’ve used their bridge functionality will get an airdrop if they introduce their own token.
- Please note that there is no guarantee that they will do an airdrop and that they will launch their own token. It’s only speculation.